Having issues with being able to integrate your Yahoo mail on your BlackBerry? You're not alone. The issue has arisen for plenty of folks in the CrackBerry Forums recently due to some changes made at Yahoo.
Unfortunately, there is a multitude of reasons an email address can't be added. Fortunately, though, a new BlackBerry Knowledge Base article takes them all into account so that you can handle the issue with whatever one best relates to your situation.
When attempting to add a Yahoo! Mail account on a BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0, or BlackBerry 6 or 7, the following error message is displayed:
- Invalid email address or password. Verify your email address and password. If the error persists, contact yahoo.com
When attempting to add a Yahoo! Mail account on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, BlackBerry 10 smartphone or BlackBerry Powered by Android, one of the following error messages is displayed:
- Unable to find connection information. Please use Advanced setup.
- Your login information for account (firstname.lastname@example.org) has changed or is incorrect. Update your login information and try again.
- Your account can't be authenticated. Update your account settings and try again
- Cause 1 - The login information entered for the Yahoo! Mail account is incorrect.
- Cause 2 - The Yahoo! Mail account is inactive. This can happen if the account was not accessed for a period of four months.
- Cause 3 - The Yahoo! Mail account is expecting a CAPTCHA response.
- Cause 4 - The Yahoo! account authentication token has expired.
- Cause 5 - The Yahoo! profile indicates that the user is 13 years of age or younger.
- Cause 6 - Second sign-in verification is enabled on the Yahoo account.
- Cause 7 - Yahoo! is moving towards a "Password Free" service and the authentication has to be done via a verification code.
- Cause 8 - Yahoo! is disallowing access to app's they believe are less secure. Full explanation for this can be found at the following link: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN27791.html
- Resolution for Cause 1 - Verify that the login information is correct by logging into Yahoo! webmail.
- Resolution for Cause 2 - Reactivate the Yahoo! Mail account. Contact Yahoo! for more information about reactivating the mail account.
- Resolution for Cause 3 - Login to the Yahoo! account via webmail to clear the CAPTCHA challenge. Sometimes this alone doesn't work and you can use the URL https://mobile.login.yahoo.com/ to login to clear the lock.
- Resolution for Cause 4 - Change the password to the Yahoo! account and wait a few minutes before attempting to integrate the Yahoo! account again.
- Resolution for Cause 5 - Update Yahoo! profile to indicate correct birth date.
- Resolution for Cause 6 - Sign into your Yahoo account, Select Settings, Select Account Info, Select App Password, Generate new application password, type a name such as BlackBerry, Select Generate Password, Integrate the email address to the BlackBerry with the App Password. If none of the prior fixes work: Disable Second sign-in verification on the Yahoo! account.
- Resolution for Cause 7 - Open the Browser on the BlackBerry Smartphone, Navigate to: mail.yahoo.com, Sign into the affected Yahoo! account, Select the code verification method (sms, phone call, email), Input the code once received, After this has completed, reintegrate the account on the phone using a standard integration method.
- Resolution for Cause 8 - Open the Browser on the BlackBerry Smartphone, Navigate to: mail.yahoo.com, Sign into the affected Yahoo! account, Go to "Account security" settings, Select Allow apps that use less secure sign in, To deny or turn off app access, deselect the undesired app, Full steps can be found at the following link: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN27791.html, Information from Yahoo (link): https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN8923.html
Note: The following email accounts are hosted by Yahoo!, and can be affected by the same integration issues that can occur with Yahoo! Mail accounts:
Note: In order to integrate a Verizon.net email account, login must be successful on the Yahoo! Mail page.
If the Verizon webmail login is successful, but logging into Yahoo! Mail returns the following error:
- Invalid ID or password
If the above error is seen then try logging in again using your full Email. Contact Verizon Technical Support for assistance to reset the password to the email account.
So there you have it. A full list of possible error messages, what could be happening and their possible resolutions to get things back up and running to how they should be. Hopefully that will help some folks out. Though, maybe, you'll want to take this time to consider switching providers.